Products You May Like
Now a days almost every other house hold has pet possession. Pets are not just an animal to some people, instead they are important part of their life and are treated like just another family member.
Most commonly kept pet is a dog. Dogs are considered mans’ best friend and a loyal companion.
Thus it is important to talk about ways in which dogs’ life could be made better. Giving good food and a place to stay is not the only desire of a pet. But taking your pet, for instance a dogs, on regular walks and giving them fresh air exposure is also necessary.
Walking is good for your dog’s health (and yours, too)
In this time of excessive work load and worldly stress, physical activity has become essential. Thus walking your dog gives perfect opportunity for you to breathe fresh air and loosen up a little.
Walking your dog is necessary because of a number of reasons:
- Regulates body weight: regular walks prevent obesity in dogs which help them in becoming more active.
- Bone health: physical activity like walking help normal bone development. Just like humans, dogs can also experience stiffens of joints.
- Walking your dog daily allows proper functioning of various systems of the body like digestive urinary and respiratory system. If you dog has some urinary related problems then you can add Proin chewable tablets in their meal.
- Physical activity in open air bring in peace of mind. Thus walking is important for mental health of a dog too.
- Walking your dog prevents them in developing cage sickness. Which comes out as depression and aggressive behavior towards surrounding.
Different dogs have different walking needs
Physical activity requirement of a dog depends on their body structure and behavior.
Dogs which are very hyper active may require 30 minutes’ walk. These include:
While dogs which have a massive built are usually slow and inactive comparatively. These kind need 15 to 20 minutes’ walk. It includes dog like:
- Great dance
- Bull dogs
- Saint Bernard
Walking requirement can also vary according to age of a dog. For instance puppies needs more playful time rather than proper chained walks. While on other hand adult dog should be chained before taking for a walk in order to build discipline in them.
How often should I walk my dog?
As a rule of thumb, 30 to 40 minutes’ walk is considered sufficient for a healthy lifestyle of a dog. That makes 6 to 7 hours every week.
Keeping in mind that this time is strictly only for regular everyday walks. While keeping your dog chained during this time in important. As it will bring discipline in them by preventing them from sniffing people in the surrounding. And all dogs’ attention is towards walking along with the owner.
However, some might agree that it is important to interlink these walking sessions with some playful activities too. Like fetching or simple running. This will keep your dog fresh and prevent them from boredom
Just like human, dogs also demand a relaxing day in a week. This could be designed in such a way that includes some playful time, either in a dog park or at beach. Some dogs are excellent swimmers thus it should be considered as an extra physical activity.
Best time to walk your dog
Just like human body, if a dog have a walking session in the morning it will help them have good physical and mental health. Moring time is considered to have fresh air full of oxygen, peace and scenic beauty. It brings in good energy not only for your dog but for you as well.
However other options might include:
- Short morning walk before breakfast
- Another short walk for potty training at mid-day
- A longer walker in the evening
- Another walk for potty before bed time
Time of walk depends on your daily routine and your free time. However whatever might be the time, all that really matters is the duration, which should be 30 to 40 minutes daily.
To sum up, a simple answer to your query might be, that you should walk your dog for 30 to 40 minutes daily, and if possible 2 times a day is sufficient. Keep in mind that there should some extra time for some playful activities too like fetching. These activities will help you to build a good relationship with your dog.